Lt. Col. Albert W. Wallach

Fenton, Missouri

Albert "Whit" Wallach

Wallach, Albert Whitney, Fortified with the Sacraments of Holy Mother Church on Sat., March 19, 2011. Beloved wife of Carolyn (nee Glasford) Wallach. Loving father of Christine (David Niswonger) Wallach, Louis (Loreen Tirrell) Wallach and Cathleen (George) Hollister. Cherished grandfather of Clinton, Whitney, Lily, Albert, Kate and Carrie. Dear brother of Patricia O'Neal. Dear father-inlaw, uncle, great-uncle, cousin and friend.

Funeral Service Wednesday, March 23, 11 a.m. at JAY B. SMITH Funeral Home, 777 Oakwood Dr., Fenton, MO.

Whit was a member of many Veterans Organizations.

Memorials to the Fenton Historical Society.

Visitation Tuesday, March 22 from 4:00-8:00 p.m. and Wednesday, March 23 from 10:00-11:00 a.m. Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial Service at 7:00 PM, Tuesday, March 22, 2011

World War II, Korea, Vietnam

Whitney began his service as many did, during WWII, entering at St. Louis, Missouri at 12th and Market, the Federal Building June 6, 1944. He had a great start at Parris Island, South Carolina, the famous East Coast Marine Boot Camp. He had advanced Infantry training at Camp Le Juene, North Carolina. Then on to Camp Pendleton at Oceanside California for more training. From Oceanside, his group left San Diego for an ocean cruise to the South Pacific where he joined the First Marine Division at the Russell Islands.

He landed on Okinawa on April 1, 1945 with the 7th Marine Regiment, of the 1st Division where he was serving when the war ended. Then the 1st Division moved to North China at Tientsin and Peiping which was a great experience for him.

Whitney was discharged at Great Lakes on August 19, 1946 and came home.

Under the GI Bill, Whitney attended the University of MissourióColumbia from 1946 to 1950 and then taught one year at Linn High School. He went back into the Marine Corps May 21, 1951 as a 2nd Lieutenant and shortly thereafter married Carolyn Glasford of Mexico, Missouri on August 18, which he called a good move.

In November 51, Whitney was assigned to Camp Pendleton. He was then sent overseas to the 3rd Brigade as a Platoon Commander. Sea Duty followed in September 1952 to August 1954 where he was Combat Cargo Officer aboard the USS Skagit (AKA-105).

Whitney had two tours in the West Pacific and a summer in Point Barrow, Alaska in 1953. Then he returned Camp Pendleton and again overseas to the 3rd Marine Division in Japan and Okinawa as the Company Commander for 13 months. In April 1956, he was assigned to Lorain, Ohio for inspector-instructor duty with the 73rd Special Infantry Company reserves. When that unit was dissolved, he was sent to HQBN at Henderson Hall in November 1957 for duty with the Marine Security Guard (Embassy Marines) program.

In August 1960, Whitney went to Quantico for an Amphibious Warfare Course. Then he served on the Military Assistance Advisory Group in Taiwan August 1963 and back to Camp Pendleton and duty with the 3/1 as Battalion Operations Officer (S-3). Whitney transferred to 21/1 and rotated overseas to the 3rd Marine Division in February 1965.

In May 1965, he was sent to Vietnam with a landing at Chu Lai. He served in the 4th Marines HQ as Operations Officer. He went home in March 1966 with a Navy Commendation of Valor. Then to HQMC in G4 Division as Head of the program and budget section (Procurement Marine Corps Appropriation).

He started night school at American University to catch up with the bean counters, and received the Meritorious Service Medal September in 1969. He was assigned to the American University Advance Degree Program and achieved his Masters degree in the field of Research and Development Management

In September 1970 he returned to Vietnam and served the 111MAF and to G-4 Plans. He finished his tour of duty in Okinawa, April 1971, where he received the Bronze Star with Valor.

Whitney returned home to the Development Center in October 1971 and finally retired in February 1973.